3. Do I need to empty my drawers?
1. How much notice do you need to book?
We are often asked this question, and we always give the same answer: Let us know as soon as you know. There is no specific timeframe, however the more notice we have, the better able we are to meet your preferred date and time. When you are planning your move, be aware of the following:
- Our busiest time of any given week is Saturday.
- Our busiest time of any given month is the weekend before and the weekend after the 1st.
- Our busiest months of the year are the summer months (June, July, August) followed by November and December.
If you are planning your move around any of these specific timeframes, a general rule of thumb is: There’s no such thing as too much notice.
Please know however, if you call on short notice, we will do our best to fit you in at or as close to your requested date and time as possible. We typically have the most flexibility on weekdays at the middle of the month. [back to top]
2. What do I need to do to be ready for my move?
To ensure your move goes as smoothly as possible, the number one thing you can do is:
Be fully packed! Have all boxes sealed with packing tape, clearly marked or labeled by location in the new residence, and stacked or lined against walls out of the way of doorways and walkways.
If you find your scheduled moving day is approaching and you won’t be at least 75% packed, you may want to consider the following two options:
- HomeStretch Moving can provide expert packing services as part of your move with us. We typically schedule packing for the day before the move, so if you would like our assistance with the last few rooms in order to keep your scheduled move on track and avoid delays, give our office a call for an estimate.
- If you find that your move is fast approaching and your packing is not at least 75% complete, consider calling your moving company to see about rescheduling to a later start time or even a few days out to allow for you to be fully ready on the day of your move.
Additional tasks that can be completed to ensure a smooth move are:
- Disassemble furniture and disconnect appliances.
- Arrange for child and/or pet sitters.
- Ensure a clear path through doorways, walkways and hallways.
- Schedule your move for the afternoon of or day after signing a lease. If you are scheduling around a closing, schedule it for the day after the closing! [back to top]
Different moving companies will give you different answers to this question.
At HomeStretch Moving, we do prefer that you empty dresser drawers prior to your move. During the course of your move, a dresser may need to be stood on its end or tipped at different angles to make sharp turns or go up and down stairs; this may cause loose items to shift inside the dresser and something you left in a top right drawer may turn up in the bottom left drawer. This may not sound like a big deal, but small items may be difficult to find or fragile items may end up broken. If the load in a drawer is heavy, for instance, a stack of jeans, the drawer slide/pull mechanism could be damaged from the weight of items shifting inside the drawer. If you choose to leave your items inside the drawers, HomeStretch Moving cannot take responsibility for lost or damaged items. [back to top]
Don't see your question here? Contact Us and we'll answer any other questions you may have!